<  Newcomers  ~  What Class?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:26 am
Posts: 4Location: United KingdomJoined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:43 pm
Hi
I want to compete next season with my TR7 track car but I cannot figure out what class I should be aiming to enter. I was hoping I could get some advice here before I start the mods to make the car eligible
My plan is to do sprints and Doune
The car is as follows

Not road legal - No MOT
No interior trim
One seat only
Full welded cage
Plastic side and rear windows
Fibreglass bonnet

I realise I will have to carry out a few improvements but I'd like to establish which class I can enter so I can budget for all the necessary costs (Including racewaer and HANS?) before I start

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:17 pm
User avatarPosts: 453Location: DunfermlineJoined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:35 pm
Hi,
As your TR7 is not road legal your category/class choices would be "Modified Sports Cars" or "Sports Libre" depending on the extent of the modifications.

If you are using a normally fitted TR7/TR8 engine and you haven't gone overboard on bodyshell/suspension modifications then you would probably be in "Modified Sports Cars over 1700cc".

If you have an engine not normally found in the TRs or have hacked the bodyshell between the wheel centres or fundamentally changed the suspension type, then you would end up in Sports Libre over 1800cc.

For either category you will require a FHR, in-date FIA harness and various other safety equipment.

Your ROPS would need to comply with the MSA Year Book for your particular category (or be an unmodified, approved ROPS for the TR).

Your choice of tyres would be free.

if your vehicle is running in Sports Libre and is over 2 Litres then you would also need to obtain a National Speed A licence before you could run the car.

Austin Seven Special

GTM Coupe
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:41 pm
Posts: 4Location: United KingdomJoined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:43 pm
Thanks for the reply

I can start researching and prepping for April now.
Can I get a scrutineer to check the car over once all is done in advance of the first meeting?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:52 pm
User avatarPosts: 453Location: DunfermlineJoined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:35 pm
badal wrote:
Thanks for the reply

I can start researching and prepping for April now.
Can I get a scrutineer to check the car over once all is done in advance of the first meeting?

Yes, you will need to get a competition vehicle passport which needs an inspection by a scrutineer.

Austin Seven Special

GTM Coupe
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:07 pm
Posts: 403Location: AberdeenJoined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:55 pm
Echo all Douglas says

As to the question in the topic title , provided engine is original or V8, I suspect it's eligible for class D2 - pre-1980 cars otherwise qualifying for division B ( ie "Modified") .

However i think the regs say that , div. D cars can enter, but are specifically excluded from winning the Sprint Championship