<  For Sale / Wanted  ~  Corner Weight Scales

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:25 pm
Looking for a good used set of corner weight scales if anyone has a set lurking in their workshop they no longer use, or planning to sell or upgrade ?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:52 am
User avatarPosts: 904Location: AberdeenJoined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:22 pm
They seem to command daft prices. If no success and don't fancy the home scales route, then McGills in Fife have cracking scales at 2/3 of the starting price of the American imports.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:50 pm
Thanks for that, I was hoping to find some good used ones but may consider buying these.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:28 pm
I am sure that you have realised that accurate results need a flat floor, and some form of roll on roll off ramp, and a system to minimise side loads which just knacker the accuracy and reproducibility. There was a post in UR recently which eulogised on the Pace cantilever device which is much cheaper. I could not get it to work reliably ,but they had a solution in that post which is ingenious

If you get the electronic jobs, you are bound to make new friends eager to borrow them. So you might consider forming a group ownership scheme.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:59 pm
Hi, yes I have a ramp, turnplates, alignment and geometry equipment, I currently borrow a friends scales but was looking to have my own as I’m finding I need to borrow them more often as the racing season looms and progresses. I have used the lever type a long time ago but you need 2 people especially if your going to corner weight with driver and it’s far easier when the box displays the corner and cross weights for you !!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:01 pm
i like a man with a well rehearsed argument for spending money on kit!

For what it is worth, I have become less enamoured at corner weighting as being an important part of the set up.One it is right it tends to stay right. the great benefit is argued in ensuring even braking, but as the track is not like a flat pad, it will never be ideal.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:06 pm
Haha yes, I agree with you re. it not changing but I do a couple of other cars too and people are sometimes changing dampers and set up etc, plus there is always the psychological advantage of knowing it’s correct .
... and I like playing with them so that’s excuse enough !

Offline Profile